Monday, August 25, 2008

This is only a test...

Baby Isaac at 34 weeks 2 days-his hand is next to his check making it look super chubby =)

So I decided that I would take the time to explain all these doctor's visits/appointments that I have to go to all the time. Just in case someone is interested. So, every Monday and Thursday I have to do a nonstress test (NST). This is actually pretty fun and relaxing. The purpose of the NST is to monitor the baby's heartbeat and movements and to see if he's in distress. These are done for most high risk women. I say they're relaxing because all I do is lie down in a recliner with my belly exposed. There are 2 belts around me-one to monitor his heartbeat and one to monitor my contractions. The nurse also takes my BP and the monitor keeps track of the readings on paper. So, the problem is that Isaac is apparently not a morning person and he never wants to wake up to do them. When a baby is sleeping, they take this thing to buzz my belly. It doesn't hurt but when he starts bouncing around back and forth, it does hurt. Most people only get buzzed once or twice (there are 4 of us to a room), but no, not me. I have to get buzzed about 3-4 times because he never wants to wake up. Apparently, I have a very cozy uterus. After being buzzed, the heartbeat should jump between 150-160. Overall, I am monitored for about 30 minutes.

Now if the readings don't come out good, or if his heartbeat is not good enough, I am sent for a biophysical profile (bpp). A bpp is basically an ultrasound, but it looks for specific movements by baby. He is then scored for each thing and he has 30 min. to do this. So far, I have had to get a bpp once a week because his heartbeat won't get up high enough during the NST. Some of the things they look for-small movements (like sucking), breathing, large movements, tone, etc. So far, he has passed his bpp's. They told me that everything is fine...but that he's just sleepy in the morning and doesn't like to move. If the bpp is not passed, I would have to go to L&D for further monitoring.

So far, that's 2 NSTs a week and possibly 2 bpps. Now, once a week after my NST I have to get a fluid check. This is basically another ultrasound but they measure the pockets of fluid around baby. We've gotten some cute pics by doing these. They are looking for the fluid to be between 5-25 cm. And they use about 3 places and then take an average. So far, mine have been great. My last one was 16.8.

Aside from these visits, I have a growth scan every 4 weeks (starting at 32 weeks). My next one is next week. And hopefully will be my last. This is basically another ultrasound and they measure all his body parts and organs to make sure that he is growing accurately. Again, this is done due to me being high risk.

I also go to the dr. every 2 weeks. Starting next week, it'll be every week. They triage me, check the heartbeat, measure my fundal height. For those that don't know what that is...the body is such a cool thing. By taking a tape measure and measure from the top of my pubic bone to the top of my uterus (in cm), it should be equal to the amount of weeks that I'm pregnant. (At this point it's +/- 4 weeks due to the baby's position). And then they basically see if I have questions. Every now and again I have to do a specific test. Next week, I have to test for Strep B.

So, that's about it. Interesting, eh? So at this point, I am always at the hospital. On a good note, gas prices just dropped to $4.25 =)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

All of those appts would drive me flippin crazy! You are such a trooper. But why are you considered high risk?