Sunday, December 2, 2012

NICU Update - 12/2/12

I know it's been quite a few days with Elliot in the NICU and I told everyone I would keep you updated, but things have been hectic as one would expect! So here it goes.

As I mentioned in the last post, Elliot came out with great lungs. When he arrived in the NICU, they did give him oxygen until the next day with a nasal cannula. Right away, they also started him on an IV which was later turned into TPN (or intravenous nutrition). When babies are born prematurely, they may need this to get in enough calories. You can't just start giving them all this breastmillk without making sure the GI tract is working well. They also placed a tube in his mouth that went to his stomach. Because he's too small/young to take what he needs by mouth, this tube is used to give him breastmilk. It was later changed to his nose. Feeds were started in very small amounts and have since increased to his goal today. Surprisingly, they have also let him take some milk by mouth. Normally, babies don't get the hang of the suck/breath/swallow technique until 34 weeks gestation. He has taken very small amounts but at least he is showing promise :). He is tolerating his feeds well and his GI tract is moving things along nicely. The TPN was stopped yesterday when they ran out of IV sites-he was almost to his full feeds anyway.

I was very upset when my milk wasn't in right away. It's hard to get the milk stimulated when I'm using a pump only and no baby to nuzzle. It made me very sad that I couldn't see him for 24 hours after birth. But things are working out. With lots of hard work my milk supply is well established.  I've rented a hospital grade pump and have been pumping every 2-3 hours around the clock. Needless to say, Isaac keeps asking me if I can make chocolate milk. haha.

Elliot was placed under lights for jaundice two days ago and they were turned off today. Not uncommon. Plus, I knew that once his feeds increased, this would help.

Right now Elliot is not on any meds and has nothing wrong with him :). Next week he'll be 34 weeks gestational age so they'll be working more on letting him take by mouth. I am feeling positive about this-I saw him sucking on a paci today and two days ago, he couldn't. Once that starts, I'll also be able to put him to breast.

I have been visiting him everyday and been able to do some kangaroo care. While I find myself very sad at home and missing him incredibly, visiting him brightens my day. Once he takes all of his feeds by mouth and is gaining weight, then it'll be time to go home. In the meantime, we'll continue to visit daily and say our prayers. And pump. Yes, I will pump like a mad woman :).

Emotionally, I'd be lying if I said this were easy. I did have some depression after I had Isaac. This time it's different to come home without your baby. I'm also struggling with missing out on the last two months of pregnancy. For the past few nights I've been sitting here just looking around the house at everything maternity and baby, and well...it sucks. Today seemed brighter. I'm trying to stop feeling sorry for myself. We've been getting our new house ready for Christmas and now have to plan for Elliot's eventual trip home. Guess it's time to wash those clothes and put together the crib! 

Again, we thank you all again for all your prayers and kind thoughts during this time. Also thank you to those who have been helping with Isaac during this time. We can't wait for him to meet his baby brother! Here are some pics of our Elliot.












2 comments:

Ashley said...

The cousins loved looking at all the pictures. We are praying for you Elliot!

Maria said...

Oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you guys have gone through all of this! I'm so glad he's okay, what a tough little guy! I'll be praying for you and your family, and that he continues to get stronger and stronger so you'll all be together at home soon! Hugs!!!!