Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Growing Stronger

Hi all. Let me first say that I am coming to you with a very heavy heart for a friend of mine. Her toddler passed away today after suffering an accident at home. Please say a prayer for her family. I'll be praying that God gives them strength and peace to help them get through this unimaginable time.

As for Elliot, today was positive. I got there around 11:00 and he was sleeping peacefully. He gained about 45 grams over this past day (more than enough). The doctors also wrote for him to take 4 bottles per day by  mouth (he was previously taking 2). He has been taking all 35 ml when the nurses feed him. Today at 12, I put him to breast. I am SO very excited to say that with hard work, he latched on! He stayed latched and sucked for about 10  minutes. Because they can't measure how much is coming out of the breast to baby, they also want me to offer a bottle of breastmilk after feedings. After he latched today, I was curious to see whether he actually sucked some milk. As I lifted him up, he let out a hearty burp, then spit up a little when I was giving him his bottle. That makes me think he got some milk in his belly :). The nurse then checked to see how much milk made it in there. She drew up about 10 ml before saying, "ok, he got some-at least 10 ml!" haha. I could only get him to take 5 more ml from the bottle, so she put the rest through his tube. I was ecstatic about the successful latch!


At 3:00 I tried to feed him his bottle. Because I don't have the magic that the nurses do, he only took 15 ml. He may have still been tired from his 12:00 latch, but the nurse wasn't too concerned. He's getting stronger each day and it's great to see his progress.

 

I also changed him into one of his new preemie onesies and it fit perfectly! He looked so adorable :).


I also had my follow up dr. appointment today for my blood pressure. Surprisingly, it was high. I have been monitoring it at home and it's been good. So once again, my dr. is taking my word for it. I will stay on the Procardia and monitor my bp's at home. If they spike or I have any symptoms, I need to call him and we'll have to adjust the meds. Other than that, I'll see him again in January for my postpartum checkup.

Hope everyone has a great night!



1 comment:

Ashley said...

So sorry to hear about your friends-will say a prayer for them.

Elliot looks great and you are such an awesome mommy!

Can't wait to see him next week!!!!