Sunday, November 7, 2010

Hospital Stay

Recently we had a major scare with Isaac that resulted in a hospital stay and I just wanted to let everyone know what's going on. One morning Andrew got Isaac up for school and kept telling me how tired he was, and he even fell when he tried to walk. I didn't see the fall and I didn't think too much about it. When we got to daycare, the same thing happened but he was really out of it so I came back home and tried to give him something to drink. We brought him to his doctor and he was getting worse and worse. By the time we were called back, he had a seizure. We took an EMS to the hospital and we found out on the way that his glucose was low...very low. In the ER he was taken care of and then admitted to the hospital to try to find the cause of his hypoglycemia. We stayed for two nights. He was doing well during that time, and they took some bloodwork. In December we have to follow up with a geneticist. They want to rule out metabolic disorders that may be the cause of his hypoglycemia. It may just be a case of hypoglycemia, which is possible. Because of the speech delay, they have reason to think it may be more.

So now we just pay extra attention to how long he goes between feedings. He loves to eat, so this isn't a problem. They think it may have happened since he was about to get sick (two days later he had an ear infection and bronchiolitis). I bought a glucometer and have to stick his finger when I feel necessary. I did it every morning for a week after the incident and only a couple times after that. They've all been normal. I'll keep you guys posted on what the geneticist says. In the meantime, please keep him in your prayers!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I know how scary that was for you guys. God was in and is in control-we are praying for good test results.
We love you Isaac!!!