Sunday, November 28, 2010

Another Health Scare

Just wanted to let you know that we had to bring Isaac to the hospital again two weeks ago. He had another hypoglycemic episode overnight, and in the morning he had some more seizure-like activity. He wasn't admitted this time, but we were able to move the geneticist appointment up. He told us that some of Isaac's labs are a little funky and we got some more bloodwork this past weekend. These are genetic, chromosomal tests and need to be sent off. We won't get back results for 6-8 weeks. He did tell us what he's thinking, but he also warned that he doesn't have a lot of information yet. He's thinking possibly a glycogen storage disease or a mitochondrial disorder. I only know about glycogen, nothing about mitochondrial disorders. And I'm not going to kill myself trying to figure it out.

For now, we're just praying for the best and taking care of our boy in the meantime. He's doing great as you can see by all the pics.Now that we've had an episode at home, we're much more prepared. I have been checking his glucose in the middle of the night and if it's already dipping, then we have to wake him up and feed him. Other than that, we're armed with glucose gel that we can rub in his mouth to get his glucose up quickly. I also have glucagon that I can inject in his thigh if I can't get it up and the seizure is not stopping. Hopefully I won't ever have to use that.

Please keep us in your thoughts and prayers. We have trust in God :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found your site because I want to be a geneticist when I grow up, and was therefore looking up blogs mentioning the word geneticist, but at any rate this sounds similar to what I once saw on tv, maybe on mystery diagnosis or one of those shows, and I believe the cause was found to be congenital hyperinsulism, here is a link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Congenital_hyperinsulinism. Hope this helps. I'll be praying for you :)

Selene said...

Thanks for the comment and for the link! I'll definitely check it out.I got a call from the geneticist yesterday and he referred us to an endocrinologist so that'll be the next step. Thanks for your good thoughts, and good luck to you!